Thursday, January 20, 2011

Creative Epicure's Ultimate Veggie Patties


I love a great veggie burger. Seeing Guy Fieri make "Morgan's Veggie Patties", http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/morgans-veggie-patties-recipe/index.html on The Food Network really got me excited. I finally pulled my version together based on my personal preferences and what I had on hand. Here is my version. This is definitely worth the effort.

Creative Epicures Ultimate Veggie Patties
This makes 8 large patties

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium diced red onion
1/4 medium red bell peppers diced
1 diced Serrano chili
1/4 cup diced, thawed frozen artichokes
1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
3 cloves roasted garlic
1/4 cup frozen corn
1 can no-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can low sodium Cannelini (white kidney beans) beans, drained and rinsed
9 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats by weight
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp red chili flakes
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Garlic Clove, gently smashed, still intact

In a medium saute pan heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat, while you prep the veggies. Add the red onion, red peppers, Serrano chili, and artichokes and reduce the heat to low and slowly sweat out the veggies until the onions are translucent and just starting to caramelize. Add in the garlic and cook about a minute until fragrant. Turn off the heat and leave the pan on the burner to cool slightly.

In a dry pan, roast the frozen corn until it is thawed and has browned slightly, shaking the pan occasionally to get a nice even color.

I pan toasted my chili powder, cumin and paprika until fragrant - personal preference to enhance their flavors.

Pulse 1/2 of the chick peas in a food processor about 5 times, you don't want to puree them, just break them into small bits. This lends an interesting texture to the final burgers.

Dump the beans and processed chick peas into a large bowl. Add the sauteed vegetables and corn and mix well (this will help to cool the veggies so you don't end up cooking the eggs). Dump in your oats, spices, bread crumbs and eggs and then squish the whole thing together into a homogeneous mixture. Crushing some of the beans, but leaving some whole for texture and interest.

Form into 3 inch patties. I used a biscuit cutter, which I lined with plastic wrap spooned the filling in and folded the plastic over and really pressed the mixture in firmly. Then place the wrapped patties onto a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before frying. You could freeze them at this point, but I haven't tried this yet - too good.

To fry preheat your oil and garlic clove in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat until the clove is gently brown. Remove the garlic clove and crank up the heat to medium-high heat until shimmering. Gently place the desired number of patties in your pan and fry on each side about 3 minutes, until a deep golden brown crust forms.

* If you use a larger pan - use more oil so that the burgers will create the nice crust that will hold them together. I tried some with flour coating at first, but this was unnecessary - better flavor without the flour.

I have tried this topped with smashed avacado and on top of green taco sauce, both were fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. I cooked a test patty before I formed my patties to taste for seasoning. I used about 2 Tbsp to make a small patte, which I fried off in the vegetable pan with a little oil added in the center.

    I added about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

    ReplyDelete